- Research Project
- Leading Innovator for better future!
Bending/Piercing Process Integrated Aluminum Bumper Beam
- Project overview
Project name Development of a light-weight low-cost aluminum single piece bending/percing bumper Supervision institution Supervision institution Participating institutions Korea Automotive Technology Institute, Korea University of Technology and Education, Kongju National University, Korea Auto Industries Coop. Association, Tallis Tech Co., Ltd., etc.
- Development objective
Final objective To develop and commercialize a light-weight low-cost aluminum bumper beam and frame for the next-generation sports utility vehicles. Annual objective 1st Year Economic effects 800 million won (approx. 0.67 million USD), 5 jobs Technological effects Secure the design and technology of a bumper and frame for the next-generation sports utility vehicles. 2nd Year Economic effects 900 million won (approx. 0.753 million USD), 8 jobs Technological effects Secure the technology of manufacturing a bumper and frame for the next-generation sports utility vehicles. 3rd Year Economic effects Secure the technology of commercializing a bumper and frame for the next-generation sports utility vehicles. Technological effects Secure the technology of commercializing a bumper and frame for the next-generation sports utility vehicles.
- Achieve cost reduction of 10%.
- Achieve weight lightening of 5%.
- Enhance economic cooperation.
- Achieve the growth of parts industries in Chungnam and Sejong city.
- The Importance of development technology
- Problems of conventional AI bumper beams
- Stretch bending process following extrusion requires additional stretch equipment and increases cycle time.
- Piercing process following bending requires additional molds and processes, which increases the manufacturing cost of an aluminum bumper beam, produces burrs, and causes local deformation to hole-machining areas.
- Causes spring back, local buckling, and sometimes changes in thickness and sectional shapes, which has great influence on dimensional precision and shock-absorbing ability.
- In spite of fuel efficiency improved by weight lightening,, still some vehicles except medium and large size vehicles are not getting applied due to price and quality.
- Problems of conventional frames
- As safety-related parts are being added and supplemented owing to current strengthening of laws and regulations related to the safety of drivers, fellow passengers, and pedestrians, the necessity of weight lightening is growing.
- Requirement to design a frame that substitutes a chassis frame connecting with a conventional steel bumper and can be compatible with an aluminum bumper.
- As an important part that determines driving safety and performance as well as ensures structural strength, a frame accounts for a considerable portion of vehicle weight. Therefore, it is very urgent to reduce the weight of chassis frame assemblies including bumper beams.
- Differentiation and Innovativeness of Technology Development
- Manufacturing technology of conventional AI bumper beams
- Low-cost manufacturing technology of AI bumper beams
- No additional stretch equipment / Reduces cycle time/ Reduce manufacturing costs (10%)/ Improves the quality of products/ Applicable to smaller vehicles.
- Core technology development
- Development plan for bending and piercing integrated molding process
- Reduces springback/ prevents buckling distortion/ reduces manufacturing cost.
- Evaluation method of major quantitative indexes
Dimensional precision of bumper beam extrusion panels
Bumper beam bending springback
Dimensional precision of bumper assembly
Bumper impact test
- Annual development plan
1st Year (Year 2015) Design and manufacture bending-piercing integrated molds. Design and manufacture bending-piercing integrated molds. Establish design and assembly plans for parts of a light-weight body frame for the next-generation sport utility vehicles. 2nd Year (Year 2016) Make a corrective design for bending-piercing integrated molds and optimize forming processes. Optimize designs for light-weight body frame assembly for the next-generation SUVs and manufacture prototypes. Verify products by conducting a sled impact test. 3rd Year (Year 2017) Commercialize bending-piercing integrated molding system. Commercialize light-weight body frame assembly for the next-generation SUVs. Verify products by conducting a sled impact test.
- Business-to-Business (City to Province) Cooperation Plan
- This project is intended to revitalize cooperation among corporations and organizations in Asan, Cheonan, and Sejong city for promotion of mechanical parts industries in Chungnam province, promote inter-region coexistence, and contributed to promoting regional economic industries by building new parts supply chains.
- Supporting Plan for Connective Cooperation of Commercialization Support Team
- Business-to-Business cooperation plan to build parts supply chains
- Introduce Kyungki’s AI bumper technology and project consortium businesses through vehicle purchase headquarters (Hyundai, Kia, Renault Samsung, and GM Korea) and support inter-business cooperation and publicity.
- After selecting car body assembly manufacturers through parts manufacturer database, conduct preliminary demand surveys and technology public relation for each business.
- Cooperation plan to build network by utilizing specialized institutions
- Explore potential demand in cooperation with private TLO and local TP and support cooperation to organize network connected with businesses in cities and provinces.
- Reference data for conventional aluminum bumper beam manufacturing technology
- Domestic S company’s method of manufacturing aluminum bumper beams
Require high-priced stretch forming equipment.
Increase cycle time.
Cause dents or buckling to areas with curvature deformation risks.
Increase manufacturing cost by additional piercing process.
Cause burr by piercing process and local deformation to hole-machining areas.
Only applies to large luxurious sedans in domestic due to high manufacturing cost and difficult quality control.
- Comparison between aluminum bumper and steal bumper
- – Comparison of bumper materials
- – Performance : Comparison among various commercial alloys
Materials Alloy/Grade Density
Stiffness Equal Bending
Stiffness to Steel
1.80 45 25.0 1.67 0.38
2.70 67 25.5 1.45 0.50
2.78 72 25.9 1.40 0.45
7.80 210 26.9 1.0 1
1.13 2.3 2.04 4.45 0.65
- Reference data for aluminum bumper design process
Optimization including selection of sectional shape and thickness of extruded materials
- Reference data for aluminum bumper development process
- Bumper production
- Design & analysis
- Design AI bumper
- Conduct collision analysis
- Prototype making
- Manufacture of aluminum extruded materials
- Forming and machining
- Collision test
- Bumper unit test
- Analysis of collision tests
- Inter-business (inter-city and province) cooperation plan
- Inter-region cooperation plan
- Seoul Office
- Metropolitan Network
- – Root technology research & development center (Siheung)
- – Incheon/ Gyeonggi TP
- – Korea Industrial Complex Corporation Incheon (M/C)
- Yeongseo Network
- – Korea Industrial Complex Corporation Gangwon (M/C)
- Cheonan Headquarters
- – Chungnam TP
- – Korea Industrial Complex Corporation Chungcheong (M/C)
- Environment-friendly transportation technology R&D Center (Chungju)
- – Auto industry cluster (Jecheon)
- Auto industry cluster (Jecheon)
- – Daegu & Gyeongbuk Headquarters
- – Gyeongbuk TP
- – Korea Industrial Complex Corporation Gyeongbuk (M/C)
- Ulsan TP
- – Export outlet development
- E-mobility R&D center(Yeonggwang)
- Honam Network
- – Gwangju & Jeonnam Headquarters
- – Jeonbuk TP
- Premium Auto R&D Center (Yeongam)
- Reference data for evaluation method of major quantitative indexes
- Bumper collision test
- Details of test methods
- Sled weight: 1875kg (Vehicle weight: 1800kg+75kg = 1875kg)
- Crash speed: 10km, 15km/h
- Analysis of deformation after crash
- Testing equipment: Acceleration sensor, road cell, and high-speed camera
- Description of analysis
- Bumper beam deformation within 80mm: Good
- After-crash deformation analysis
- After-crash joint rupture analysis
- After-crash load-time diagram analysis